- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds well-marbled chuck beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces (NOT extra-lean)
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth..
- I cup of Guinness beer
- 1 cup of fine red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1-2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Tsp Dried oregano or 2 sprigs of fresh
- 2 Tbsp Sofrito
- 2Tbsp Corn Starch
- Marinade the beef in the Sofrito and salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and Brown. Turning beef every 2-3 minutes to allow it to caramelize. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add to Crock pot set on High.
- De-glaze the pan with the Wine, and add drippings to Crock Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except potatoes,onions and carrots. Stir to combine. Allow to tenderize/cook for a few hours (about 3)
- While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.
- Add vegetables to beef stew. and turn to Low until Vegetables and beef are very tender, about 4 more hours.
- Discard bay leaves and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
** If I don't have the beef stock or broth I'll use the Bullions about 3 or 4
** If I don;t have the red wine at home, I use dry sherry.
**If I don't have Guiness I'll substitute for another beer, whatever I have in the house.. Except LIGHT beer..