- 8 pieces jumbo pasta shells
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese (can use reduced fat or skim)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 cup shredded Asiago
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, Crushed
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Egg Beaten
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package for Al Dente. Drain pasta and cool.
- Combine ricotta, with 1/2 of the other cheeses (Mozzarella, Asiago, and Parmasiano.) Add parsley salt, pepper, and egg to the cheeses and stir to combine.
- Over moderate heat add oil, garlic and onions. Saute onions and garlic 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper ( I like to add a little red pepper flakes for an extra kick).
- Simmer sauce 5 minutes and stir in basil leave.
* If you have a little Marinara Sauce or prefer Meat sauce, that can ALSO be used.
- Pour a little sauce into the bottom of a shallow medium sized casserole dish.
- Fill shells with filling and arrange them seam side.
- Top shells with remaining sauce and remaining cheeses.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes uncovered, to melt cheeses , or till you see the sauce bubble.
Lisa C. . . . .