- Oil -- 2-3 tablespoons
- Onion, minced -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2-3 cloves
- Ground beef -- 1 pound
- Paprika -- 1 tablespoon
- Cuminseed -- 1 teaspoon
- Oregano -- 1 teaspoon
- Water or stock -- 1 cup
- Raisins (optional) -- 1/2 cup
- Black or green olives (optional), pitted and chopped -- 1/4 cup
- Flour -- 1 tablespoon
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium flame. Sauté the onions until they are translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, cuminseed and oregano and sauté 1-2 minutes more. Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and sauté, breaking up the beef until it is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the water or stock, raisins(optional) and olives and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle flour over all and stir in well. Simmer for another 5-8 minutes, or until lightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
I sometimes used 2 tbsp of Sofrito in place of the garlic and onions and sautee it instead.
To break up the ground beef while cooking I use a potato masher..