Growing up in the Dominican Republic I was privileged to many new things. One of my favorites was the Chimichurri, a Dominican burger, this is found EVERYWHERE throughout the island and mainly sold in burger stands by street vendors. These are Delicious, and once you try one you'll fall in love.
Throughout my pregnancy, I was unfortunate to crave many simple things from the islands, and this was one of them so I was faced with only one choice... Learn to make one..
I did, and it was delicious, of course NOTHING can compare to the originals made by the pros(not to mention, the island breeze and the cold Presidente beer to accompany it), but here it is with a little twist.
- Portuguese rolls
- 1lb Ground beef
- 1lb Hot Italian Sausage Meat
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 tsp of oil
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- I use a mortar and Pestle and crush the garlic and 1/2 onion with a little salt and pepper to make a paste.
- Mix the meats, the paste (save a little for the sauce), a little more salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of oregano. Mix them well, and make 4 or 5 patties, depending on the desired thickness of patties.
- Cure your grill with the oil, and place your patties.
- While your patties grill, make the Chimi sauce. Blend some mayo, the rest of that paste, ketchup, soy sauce, a pinch or oregano, a dash of vinegar, pinch or sugar and a little bit of mustard.
- Slice the other 1/2 of the onion and mix it with the shredded cabbage,the grated carrot and your sauce.
- Warm up your rolls, and assemble. Place burgers on rolls, and garnish with the delicious Dominican style Cole slaw and enjoy.