Saturday, January 15, 2011
Oriental Steak Skewers
You Will Need
1 pound boneless beef sirloin tip roast
1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
1 cup water
4 medium carrots, julienned
1/2 pound fresh green beans
1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
What to Do
1. Cut beef width wise into 16 slices, 1/4 inch thick. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, sugar and ginger; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours.
2. In a saucepan, bring water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the beans and red pepper; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
3. Drain and discard marinade from beef. Arrange three beans, one carrot strip and one pepper strip down the center of each beef slice; roll up. For each kabob use metal or soaked wooden skewers and thread two bundles on two parallel skewers.
4. If grilling the kabobs, coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until beef reaches desired doneness, turning once.
5. In a bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard and horseradish. Serve with kabobs.