- 2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 good crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix sugars, salt, and spices, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs and add to the bowl.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée.
- Stir in cream.
- Whisk all together until well incorporated.
- Pour into pie shell and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
* To make pumpkin purée from a sugar pumpkin: start with a small-medium sugar pumpkin, cut out the stem and scrape out the insides, discard (save the seeds, of course). Cut into sections and steam in a saucepan with a couple inches of water at the bottom, until soft. Scoop out the pulp from the skin. Or you can bake whole or halved in a 350°F oven until fork tender. Optional - put pulp through a food mill or chinois to make extra smooth.