Ingredients1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
3/4 pound onions, thinly sliced
1 cup (packed) grated Gruyere cheese (about 4 oz)
8 Tbsp (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 oz)
2/3 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F (unless preparing in advance).
- Combine Yukon Gold potatoes and sliced onions in heavy large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Bring water to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain potato onion mixture well.
- Arrange half of potato-onion mixture in 11x7 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle mixture with 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese and then 2 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange remaining potato-onion mixture atop cheeses.
- Pour cream over.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2/3 cup of Gruyere and 6 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake gratin uncovered in 400°F oven until cream thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil gratin until top is golden, about 2 minutes.