- several Cinnamon sticks
- handful of whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 yellow plantains (very ripe), peeled and cut in 4 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- pinch salt (optional)
- Place stick of Cinnamon in center of each plantain lengthwise.. and poke with a few cloves...
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter begins to sizzle and brown.
- Add sugar and heat till it starts to caramelize and bubble.
- Gently toss in plantains and cover.
- Sautee until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, then turn over, and continue until they have caramelized, and are tender about 6 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle with salt (you may also remove the cloves and cinnamon before serving *Optional).