Moro de Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sofrito (see recipe for sofrito)
- 2 tablespoons spanish olives
- 1 can green or dry pigeon peans, drained
- 1 envelope sazon with annato
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- salt and black pepper to taste
Start by heating the oil in a pot at high heat, and when the oil is nice and hot, add the Sofrito. This must be browned, about 1 minute.
After that has been done add the olives, the tomato paste, and all the spices, including the envelope of sazon.
Once that has been well blended, add the water, peas, salt and pepper to taste.
Bring this up to a boil then stir in rice and leave uncovered.
Once most of the water has evaporated, lower heat and stir 1 more time, then cover.
Let this cook for about 30 - 40 minutes on a low heat setting, stirring occasionally (every 10 minutes) until the rice is tender.